Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day of Racing Part 3: Coca-Cola 600

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!  All miles of the Day of Racing are DONE!

NASCAR always has its cautions to group everyone back up and make things more interesting, and tonight definitely didn't fail.  Kurt Busch and Jamie McMurray were going back and forth for the lead, completely revolving around the yellow flag periods.  Kurt Busch's car was better on the restarts, but Jamie McMurray's was better a few laps in.  It was just a matter of whether or not Busch could hold off McMurray, and he did.

Whereas Ganassi beat Penske in the Indy 500, Penske beat Ganassi here.  No Memorial Day sweep for Ganassi.

I really don't have much to say about NASCAR because I follow it even less than Indy Racing League, but overall, a lot of good racing was done today.  Some drivers did some stupid things, but that's normal for any given day of racing.  Mike Conway has a broken leg, which is actually a really good outcome given what his crash looked like.  I just know some people will look at all the crashes and try to spin racing as some "unsafe" thing, but in reality these cars are getting safer and safer with every year.  It's important to note what actually happens to the driver(s) involved.  More often than not, you'll see some really bad crash and they'll just walk away.  If that's not safety, I don't know what is.  Also, if we had any fewer safety advancements Felipe Massa probably wouldn't be alive today.

As I've said before, I'm not much of a car buff, but I do like my racing.  If it's got wheels and goes fast, I'll watch it.  The month of May is an especially great month for auto racing fans, or at least fans of Formula 1, Indy Racing League, and/or NASCAR.  I enjoyed the hell out of it and can't wait for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.