Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I've Lost Interest In The War In Kryta

At first, it was great.  The final bit of Guild Wars' story, where the Shining Blade goes up against the White Mantle to attempt to free Kryta from the Mantle's oppressive rule.  But right from the beginning, something was missing.  Sure, there were NPCs, if you ran to a specific spot in Talmark Wilderness you could witness various scenes taking place, eventually there was the most stupidly laid out scavenger hunt ever, requiring an event item that won't come up until November and thus anyone who hoarded them from last year can get top dollar in trades.  The story was there, but one thing was missing.  One small, yet important thing.

Quests.

I know that coming up with a proper quest line takes a while, but it took them forever to add this event to the game, so they could have been coming up with quests in the meantime.  They did eventually add quests, but it took a while longer than anyone really expected, and you have to see pretty much all of the mid-zone conversations before you can take them.  In addition, having to run out into a zone to see conversations happen isn't my idea of fun.  I enjoy running in Guild Wars, which both isn't the point, and at the same time brings me to my next point.

The enemies they added for the event are simply frustrating.  I know that most people have completed pretty much everything and they needed to have some challenge in there, but when you give EVERY SINGLE ENEMY a resurrection skill, you've gone beyond challenge.  It's just unreasonably difficult.  Basically, to do anything, you need a ranger with Frozen Soil and a ritualist skill that can kill an allied spirit.  It's a requirement.  This makes it not even fun for me when the enemies basically dictate what build I have to run.  There isn't really enough variance in what normal enemies bring to require build specialization per zone, so why change that now?

Also, it's impossible to run past these things.  I've tried, I got lucky once and made a test Lion's Arch to Temple of the Ages run with one death just due to not knowing what was going to be thrown at me, but I've never made it since.  In terms of actual combat, I've actually found some parts of it to be easier in Hard Mode.  This is because, like most guilds, and even though I changed to a more active one, it's still mostly inactive.  Every time I try to go back to random PUGs I remember why I stopped joining random PUGs.  The lack of coordination.  Nobody listens to you when you try to organize the group and formulate a tactic.  Everyone just runs into battle, nobody bothers with proper pulling and aggro management.  If you have any sort of imagination about your build at all, you get yelled at or booted from the group and called a n00b.  So therefore, I either go with guild/alliance groups that are coordinated with voice chat, or I take heroes and henchmen.

The areas where they put the new enemies (because it's taking place in Kryta) are balanced for parties of six people that aren't max level.  The new enemies are balanced for parties of eight max level characters.  The only reason that I find parts of War In Kryta easier in Hard Mode is because even though Hard Mode raises the levels of enemies, adjusts their skill bars and gives them unfair speed advantages in movement, attack, and skill activation (srsly raising the levels and adjusting skill bars would have been enough), it also forces henchmen to be max level, granting them more health and better armor.

Also, the new enemies are irreversibly there.  There's no way to go back to the original version of a zone.  So if you want to vanquish the zone, you have to deal with them.  If you simply want to run through the zone, you have to have either extreme luck or a vastly different build.  I basically can't run people from Lion's Arch to Temple of the Ages anymore because War In Kryta is irreversibly activated on my ranger.  Because I had the nerve to have beaten Prophecies years ago, before Factions even came out.  The other trigger for it is beating Eye of the North, which I've also done.  If I'd known that beating either of those storylines would have forced this bullshit on me, I would have refrained from doing so.  I've purposefully avoided activating it on any of my other nine characters, just so they don't have to put up with this bullshit.  I'm thinking of starting another ranger just to be a runner, even though I'll have to get skills and levels and equipment and game progress all over again.

Give us an option to disable War In Kryta, and we're good.  I really want to take part in this event because I want to see the White Mantle fall (that's the sad part, we already know the outcome of this event.  Storytelling fail), but with the enemies being too frustrating and balanced for teams that are larger and higher level than you can find in the nearby towns, it completely kills it for me.  These things are basically impossible with henchmen.  Plus, with the sheer amount of resurrection these things have, it takes forever to take a group down if you can't disable resurrection with Frozen Soil, because your group has to be attentive enough to switch targets and interrupt the resurrection.

Every time I go out into a zone, I hope in vain that GMs randomly watch people, so they can hear the complaints I type into All chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.