Monday, April 2, 2012

Spam Text Messages

I got one today.  The message: "Apple is looking for people to Test & Keep the New iPad 3! But only the 1st 1000 users that goto <URL redacted> and enter code <code redacted> will Receive it!"

This message was sent from the number 201-706-1230.

I've done some research and it looks like I'm totally boned as far as reporting it is concerned.  The FCC CAN-SPAM act seems to only apply to messages sent via email, which my phone isn't capable of receiving because it's not a smartphone.  Other places suggested that if it came from a "short code", or one of those 4 or 5 digit numbers, that I'd have options.  But if it was a 10-digit "long code" (which it was), I'm screwed.

All the online caller ID registries I can find say that this number belongs to "NEW Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC - DC" in Jerseycity, New Jersey.  My guess is that if they're not the ones sending the spam, that someone is forging the number, which has historically never been difficult.

The whole stupid thing about this is that even if I did have an option, it would only be to opt out from this one sender.  This type of thing should be strictly opt-in.  Consumers do not exist to be marketed to, it is not a given right to corporations of any size.

So to whoever sent me this message, fuck off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.