Friday, May 15, 2009

mixed drink idea results

I tried two slightly different recipes:

4 parts Breyer's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream
1 part Bailey's Irish Cream

I did 4:1 instead of 3:1 because the blender had a 1 cup marking, so it was easier to measure out 8 oz of ice cream than 6. The result was delicious.

The second recipe:

4 parts Breyer's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream
1 part Bailey's Irish Cream
1 part coffee liqueur (I used the Caffé Lolita that I bought, if making this drink for serious, you'd probably want Kahlua here instead)

This had a different taste due to the coffee liqueur, but it was just as delicious. I'm having a really hard time deciding which one I liked better. The first one was sweeter due to the lack of the bitter taste the coffee liqueur adds, but both were pretty smooth and tasty. Also a key factor is that the ice cream warmed up between the drinks, since I didn't pop it back in the freezer until after making the second drink, so the second one was warmer than the first, but still cold.

The one thing that didn't work out quite as I had hoped were the chunks of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups that are in the ice cream. They got ground up somewhat by the blender, but there was still sludge at the bottom of the glass. I was counting on the blender to make the chunks smaller than it did. Maybe it was just the blender I was using.

Also something you might be able to infer from the recipes but I'll go ahead and mention anyway: the first recipe was thicker than the second, and felt more like a milkshake. If you want the thickness of the first recipe with the coffee liqueur from the second, you'll have to adjust the amount of ice cream accordingly. I'm too lazy to do the math, but just add a couple extra scoops of ice cream and you should be fine.

As for serving this drink to others, you'd probably want to serve it in a chilled glass, perhaps with a straw since it's pretty much a milkshake. If you want to get fancy you could garnish it with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Floating on top would be cool if it works, or alternatively you could carefully slice a small bit out of it with a knife and slide it over the edge of the glass like a lemon slice. Also, the usual drizzling of Hershey's chocolate syrup around the edge of the glass would compliment the drink well.

This is basically yet another variant of the mudslide. If anyone ever finds something like this for sale in a bar or restaurant, definitely let me know, I'd like to see the difference between my attempts and those of an actual bartender.

Last but not least, if it wasn't obvious already, I really like the combination of peanut butter and chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.