Monday, June 21, 2010

Tyrian Elite Skill Hunter

Technically I completed this title on the 16th, but for whatever reason didn't get around to making a typical "brag about achievement shit in an online RPG that nobody else cares about" post until now.

As always, I'll explain a little about it for anyone who hasn't played Guild Wars.  You get progress towards the elite skill title tracks as you obtain elite skills on that character.  There are four title tracks: one for each continent, and one that credits you for getting all three continents' elites.  Sadly the title tracks are not tiered in any way, it's simply "get all the elites on the continent to get this title".  I would have liked to see it tiered by number of professions on that continent or something.

Obtaining an elite skill can be done in one of two ways:
  • The first, older, and more conventional method:  Buy a Signet of Capture from a skill trainer and kill the boss monster that uses that elite skill while you have Signet of Capture on your skill bar.  Use the signet, pick the skill, and there you go.  A change to Signet of Capture made it give you a sizable chunk of experience towards your next skill point, to make these titles easier to get.  It's a function of your character level, but at level 20 it works out to 5000 experience, which is a third of the experience bar.  If you can survive long enough to kill the boss and capture the skill, this is by far the cheaper method.
  • The second, newer, and more costly method:  Unlock the skill first.  This can be done either by capturing it on a different character, or by spending 3000 Balthazar faction at a Priest of Balthazar (Balthazar faction can only be gained through PvP).  Then, once it's unlocked, use an Elite Tome of that profession to learn the skill.  Elite Tomes can be obtained through pure luck by killing a boss of that profession on Hard Mode, by trading two Gold Zaishen Coins for one, or through trades with other players.  Tomes have the downside of not giving you the experience points you get for using a Signet of Capture, but have the advantage of letting you get a skill relatively easily that would be very difficult to capture.
Anyway.  On to the screenshots.


This is me playing around with Ether Prodigy having just captured it.  It causes Exhaustion, which lowers your maximum energy by 10, and gradually increases it at the rate of one energy every 3 seconds.  Ether Prodigy is reusable much faster than the exhaustion wears off, so if you're not careful you can seal off your entire energy bar like I did here on purpose.  And yes, exhaustion can lower your maximum energy below zero.

Elementalist was the last profession I did.  I left myself an easy capture for the final elite (Mist Form) on purpose.  Somehow in the moment of my celebration I didn't actually screenshot getting the title, so these next couple of screenshots were taken just a few minutes ago.


There's the title.  Also, since it was my tenth maxed title...


I got the Kind Of A Big Deal track up to People Know Me, and the Rainbow Phoenix now appears in my Hall of Monuments.  Yeah, the title track for maxed titles is basically just a series of references to the Will Ferrell movie Anchorman.  For a full Zaishen Menagerie I only have one pet remaining, which happens to be the hardest one in the game to get: the Black Widow.  As soon as I can get a party for the Underworld (or buy the Ritualist skills necessary to solo my way to it), I'll grab it and finish off my menagerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.