Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Recent anime endings (no spoilers)

A few anime I was watching (and, I guess, a bunch more that I wasn't) concluded recently. Here are some quick plot summaries and final thoughts, all the while trying to avoid spoilers. I'll also get title screen snapshots in here at some point, so check back.

Chaos;Head I did a fairly in-depth review of a while back (and meant to follow up with other series in the same manner, but it never happened). The ending was pretty good. Some good action and more weird mindbending stuff.

Mai-Otome 0 S.ifr was a three episode prequel OAV to the main Mai-Otome TV series. It looks back at Rena Sayers while she was an otome. You also get to see Miss Maria and a few other characters that show up throughout the TV series. It's got great action and if you've seen Mai-Otome, you should enjoy it.

Shikabane Hime: Aka is the first half of a 26 episode series, the other half being Shikabane Hime: Kuro. If you're wondering, 'aka' means 'red' and 'kuro' means 'black'. The premise here is that, when someone with an attachment to this world dies, they come back as a Shikabane (which means Corpse). Some Shikabane have made a contract with a priest and become Shikabane Hime, who must hunt down and kill 108 Shikabane so they can go to heaven. It's got great action and a good story that keeps you drawn in. The ending of Aka leads pretty much directly into the beginning of Kuro, so much that the last episode of Aka has a preview for Kuro's first episode.

Telepathy Shoujo Ran was a series I started watching solely because it had the word 'telepathy' in the name. The first arc, which is the first three episodes, sets us up quite nicely. We get a crash introduction to the telepathic and telekinetic powers possessed by a few of the cast, some anomalies (Rui, whose mind can't be read) are brought up, and then we go on to the second arc expecting a great supernatural action series and we get... Scooby Doo. Ok, maybe it's just an off-arc, shows tend to take little breaks between plot arcs periodically. Next arc comes, and... more Scooby Doo. All right, the arcs are short, maybe the next rising action needs to be spaced out some more. The third arc comes and, surprise, more Scooby Doo. This repeats throughout the rest of the series until the final arc. It starts out with weird supernatural phenomena that only some can feel, looks pretty good, and then... what the fuck. Animals. Seriously. What the fuck. It never explains any of the powers or anything brought up in the first arc. It just turns into a series where the main group solves mysteries that only they can solve because of telepathy, hence me calling it Scooby Doo. I want my time back.

There's the four series I was watching that wrapped up recently. Just stay away from Telepathy Shoujo Ran and you should be good.

As for stuff I'm watching now, I'm waiting as always for Menclave's Gundam 00 Season 2 subs, and I'm also watching Shikabane Hime: Kuro. I'm also watching Minami-ke Okaeri, but I'm not sure what to expect since it's being produced by the same studio that did the fail of a series known as Minami-ke Okawari, instead of the studio that did the first season. A series whose description made me lol that I'm checking out is Akikan. It looks like a wacky harem series. The main character buys a soda from a vending machine, which turns into a girl who needs carbon dioxide to live. How does she get this all-important CO2? By kissing, of course. The description implies that more of these girls show up as the series progresses. I'm about to watch the first two episodes of it after I get my new case fans installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.