Monday, January 12, 2009

digital tv

I don't get why so many people are up in arms about the switch to digital television. They say "but we're not ready yet!" or some other bullshit excuse like that.

Well, think about this. If you're not ready, whose fault is it? Yours. The plan has been announced for years, the cutoff date was announced well ahead of time, and there's a government program through which you can get a coupon for $40 off of a digital receiver which will allow your old ass-analog TVs to still work.

Furthermore, this only affects over the air broadcasts. If you have cable or satellite, you don't have to worry. Digital cable is even better than analog cable (picture quality, HD programming, DVRs) and satellite is balls because when the weather's bad there goes your signal.

It seems like every day I see an article in the newspaper or on a website somewhere where people are bitching about this switch. Hell, even Obama wants them to put it off. I have a good plan: Switch the analog broadcasts off without paying attention to all the lazyasses' complaints. Anyone who isn't ready because they've been putting off getting ready will suddenly feel a sense of urgency about the matter and fucking get their asses in gear.

From a different perspective, the TV station's, it actually costs them more money to be running both types of transmitters. Since the digital signal delivers a clearer and more crisp image, it has the clear advantage. With regards to analog vs. digital picture quality, you need to experience the difference. Same with SD vs. HD. Or xvid vs. h264. Everything is so much better in the latter of all three choices, but you have to see the difference to understand why.

This was going to be longer, but it's really cold and my fingers barely want to move. Remind me again why the fuck I got up so early? Was it laundry, computer maintenance... or what? (both of those need to happen, the sooner the better)

Speaking of computers, I found a pretty nice case fan on newegg that I'm ordering two of later today once I shove some money in my account. Actually I could probably go deal with my account now, but fuck it. It's too cold. But my computer will finally have both the dead fan and the ailing one replaced, and hopefully I'll be able to play games without the temperature going critical again.

Or maybe I'm so cold because I'm drinking soda. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.