Saturday, January 10, 2009

computers are good

We got the upstairs computer fixed. And by fixed I mean almost completely replaced. My dad couldn't find a motherboard that would take the processor, RAM, or graphics card we had, so he had to order all-new stuff. Now, sadly, it's better than this thing. It's got a Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of RAM (unsure of the speed of either of those), and a somewhat recent nVidia PCI-express card whose number I'm unsure of.

At least now we won't have to keep shuffling around which computer is connected to the cable modem to use the internet.

And if we had a router, we could very easily not have had the problem be as severe as it was. But for some reason my dad actually likes ICS.

Anyway, I've been playing around with those Explorer replacements. On my VirtualBox install of Windows, I have an account set up running Litestep, and another account set up running BlackBox. They're both fairly similar, though technically Litestep is a takeoff of BlackBox. I'm used to Fluxbox on Linux, which operates almost identically to BlackBox. Overall, they're a lot more configurable. Themes can be changed by editing text files. It eliminates the Start menu bullshit and replaces it with a fully configurable right click menu on the desktop that enables you to get to all your settings and shit. I'm going to play around with how that menu is organized a bit, but the end result is that I'll be switching to BlackBox on this computer.

Isn't open source software awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.