Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Uno Deep Dish Pizza

It took me a while to notice these at the store, because they're clear on the other side of it from the frozen aisle.  They're in a refrigerator case near the specialty cheeses.  Anyway.

I've been eating these things for quite a while now, and figured I might as well get around to posting about them.

Basically, if you like pizza and want some deep dish, look no further than Uno.  It's pretty good.  The directions are simple and straightforward, and they have separate directions for a completely thawed pizza vs. a frozen one.

My only trouble is that if I allow the pizza to thaw at all before putting it in the oven, it has a very high chance of sticking to the oven rack.  My solution is to preheat the oven, remove the pizza from the box, cut open the plastic wrapping around the pizza, then stick it back in the freezer while the oven preheats.  Then throw the thing directly onto the rack once the oven is done preheating.

The cooking time is quite a bit longer than your average frozen pizza, clocking in at 35 minutes vs. the normal 18-20.  But if you look at it, it's easy to understand why.  Deep dish pizzas are a lot thicker than regular pizzas.

The package suggests putting the pizza in a round cake pan with some oil for "restaurant quality".  I haven't tried this, to be honest, so I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

Giant carries three varieties, Cheese, Pepperoni, and Sausage.  I'm unsure if there's any more.  I've only tried the Pepperoni and Sausage ones, but based on those, I can't expect the Cheese variety to be much different in terms of quality.  The Pepperoni variety is a first among frozen pepperoni pizzas that I've found: I don't have to re-arrange the pepperoni before cooking it.

The crust is a bit difficult to cut with a pizza cutter, I usually end up destroying the crust in the area around where I cut it.

Overall, these are pretty good pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.