Saturday, June 23, 2012

Quick Rant

Last Thursday, when I was getting food, I was one frozen item short of what I usually grab and out of ideas, so I grabbed a Stouffer's Salisbury Steak box to fill the void.  It wasn't bad (Stouffer's and bad can't be paired without a negative, at least, taste-wise), but reading the package I noticed something.

There's a box on the back, below the cooking directions, that says "Good to Remember: Stouffer's is supported by the Nestle Research Center, one of the world's leading centers for nutrition, health, and wellness."

Then I look over at the nutrition information.

The entire thing is one serving.  It has 34 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of which is trans fat.  It also has 64% of your daily recommended value of sodium.

Must be a pretty shitty research center if they think those numbers are good.

If I got a pasta machine and some reasonably lean ground beef, I could make exactly what comes in the box and it would be better for me.

So, moral of the story, I guess, is... read the nutrition facts on your frozen tasties and demand better nutrition choices from the companies that make the stuff you like.  Just because it's frozen convenience food doesn't mean it should be bad for your health.  In fact, with the proportion of the population that depends on pre-processed food for their meals, the companies making these products should have even more reason to make them as nutritious as possible.  Fast food isn't entirely to blame for America's obesity crisis, you know...

Also, as a side note, the first step of the directions says "DO NOT VENT.  DO NOT REMOVE FILM COVER.", which always makes me think "DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.