Sunday, October 3, 2010

OK seriously fuck this traffic light

I mentioned it briefly in vague terms a long time ago, but there's a traffic light in UVa grounds that's just fucked up.

During the day it's fine.  But overnight it refuses to turn green on the side road.

For anyone reading this who knows the area, it's the traffic light at the JPA/Brandon Ave. intersection.

Leaving Bice earlier this morning, I wanted to turn left to drop friends off at their dorm.  I pull up to the light, and naturally being the law-abiding citizen I am, I stop since it's red.  There's a nice sign that says "no right turn on red" at this intersection, but whatever, I'm turning left.

We sit there.

And sit there.

And sit there some more.

Then I realize I'm wasting fuel and turn the car off.

Then we sit there some more.

And some more.

And some more.  I don't know how long we sat there, but it felt like an eternity.

Meanwhile, the number of cars that have driven through the intersection on JPA can be counted on one hand.  This is around 5 AM, mind you.  There are zero pedestrians, because nobody with common sense would be out walking around at 5 AM when it's really cold.

We finally get tired of sitting there (and it's really cold), so I turn the car back on and turn right (on red).  I go down to the next side road and u-turn, then we proceed back on our merry way.  I drop my friends off, then go back through this very intersection on my way home.  As far as I know, the light never turned red for JPA.

This light turned green for me as recently as YESTERDAY FUCKING MORNING AROUND THE SAME GODDAMN TIME.  But in the past, it's done this a lot more often.

What the hell?  Traffic light fail.

This is what having a traffic light go into blinking mode is for.  It should blink yellow along JPA and red for Brandon Ave.  This would basically turn it into a stop sign for Brandon Ave. (and technically speaking, a yield sign for JPA) and fix the issue entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.