Thursday, August 19, 2010

LubricatedApe

I mean, GreaseMonkey.

I wrote another script, this time for YouTube.  Here's the story.  I was on my subscriptions page when I noticed the navigation bar at the top.  My first thought was "hey, it's nice to actually have these links visible where they can be easily clicked instead of having to click on my username first!"  Then, I thought "it'd be nice to have that navigation bar on the rest of the site."

I started writing JavaScript, and victory was had.  It adds the navigation bar to video pages, channel pages, the video editor page, and the main page.  If you're on your channel or on the video editor page, those items show up as selected, just like all the others do when you're on their pages.  Essentially, this brings the navigation bar to the rest of the website.  I know there are other pages, for instance group pages and opt-in pages for various things YouTube is testing like their HTML5 player, but they're so obscure and hard to find that they might as well not exist.

Finally, intuitive navigation returns to YouTube.  It's kind of sad that websites these days are "improving" by becoming harder to use and obscuring critical functionality.

Anyway, here's the script.  The bar takes a little bit to appear on the pages it has to be inserted on (at least on my computer), but this is normal and to my knowledge can't be sped up.  I don't know if it's because of how I generate the extra markup or what, but it is what it is, and it works.

And here's the Blogger navbar tweak script I wrote a few posts ago.  Seems like I'm scripting a lot of navbars lately...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.