Saturday, April 25, 2009

So my onboard lan died.

Hence the cause of all my fucking troubles.

Luckily, I had a spare 3com 10/100 NIC lying around that I could shove in. Back online, no random freezing, no having to run xpnetdiag.exe every two minutes, etc.

Even though I technically didn't need to have reinstalled Windows to fix this (since it was hardware and not software), I don't regret it. Sure, reconfiguring is a bitch, and there's one site I had in Fast Dial that I can't remember what the hell it was, but my aging install of Windows was due for a reinstall anyway. I'm even up to XP Service Pack 3 now. lol get with the times, right?

Part of me keeps saying "hey, we could go back to Windows 7". It would probably have the driver for the 3com card (they're fairly damn common, we have a pile of them). I'd have to start it up without the network cable so I could disable automatic updates, which it's fairly zealous about getting as soon as it discovers internet access.

The rest of me is saying "fuck Windows 7, we have a working setup, don't fuck with it". For now, I think that's what I'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.