Wednesday, April 22, 2009

HOLY HELL WINDOWS MORE LIKE WINBLOWS


I'm not using VistAIDS, but I feel like Windows is giving me the middle finger and this is the best image I have to represent that with.
This is now the second time I've had to start over typing this, so it'll be short and sweet. Well, not really.

I woke up yesterday to discover that my computer couldn't access our local network, or for that matter the internet. I tried everything I knew and nothing could get it working, no amount of rebooting, release/renew, etc. would fix it.

So I overreacted. Honestly I don't know what else I could have done, but whatever.

I opted to wipe my OS hard drive and reinstall Windows. It had needed it for a while, what with all the posts about my computer shitting bricks and whatnot a while back.

At first I tried to put the Windows 7 beta on it, but even after a successful install I couldn't get it to refrain from BSODing upon reboot.

So I reinstalled XP, then went through hell getting it up to SP3. What hell did I go through? First off, after a virgin install of SP1 (what my XP Pro disc contains), you can't just grab SP3 off of Windows Update. Microsoft can't make anything simple to save their lives. You have to update to SP2, reboot, and then update to SP3. On top of that, every few minutes it goes "lol what's a network connection?" and I have to run XP's uber-hidden network diagnostic tool to fix it.

For reference, this tool is xpnetdiag.exe. Search it up. You'll have to allow windows to search in system directories to find it.

I'm typing this on my crapass laptop that's basically fubar but can still boot an Ubuntu livedisc.

Actually, the network connection might have relaxed a bit. I don't know if it's because I'm not using the computer or what, but I haven't had to run the diagnostic tool to fix it in a while. I've got Azureus going with a few torrents and they're still active. (inb4 it craps out again)

If it's directly related to user activity, which seems a little weird, I'll have to shift my use pattern around to my other computers, perhaps using this laptop a bit more. I hate laptop keyboards though, I've had to backspace so many fucking times already.

The problem that forced me to type this on my laptop isn't the intermittent connectivity issue. It's one that's far more aggravating (and just happened again). The computer will simply just stop accepting input. The keyboard doesn't work, my trackball doesn't work, nothing fucking works. The screen doesn't even update if things should be changing. Yay reset button.

What all this boils down to is that my desktop in its current state is unusable. I'll have to replace it with a brand new computer a little sooner than I'd predicted. Which means going out and getting a fucking job during a fucking economic recession just got a little more fucking important.

Shit really? It just fucking stopped again. No more than a minute after rebooting, logging back in, and starting Azureus again. What the fucking hell. Shit's definitely unusable.

You know what forced me to have to type this again? Pretty much the same fucking issue, only this time on my laptop. I got out my USB flash drive to store the file on, plugged it into my laptop's only USB port, and it froze. What the hell. After rebooting my laptop I immediately made a text file on my USB drive and have been saving every so often. I can deal with the line ends being unix format. I'd just like to have something to fucking post.

I need a lot of alcohol. Now. Found a bottle of rum (not spiced, sadface), made rum and coke (zero).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.