Sunday, March 22, 2009

Smart quotes are stupid

For a while now, my mIRC has been using so-called "smart quotes" instead of regular ones. This annoyed me as they're quite ugly, and on top of that I didn't know why it started doing it or how to make it stop. Until I remembered that mIRC has weird keyboard shortcuts for foreign characters. For instance, ñ is Control + Shift + ~, then n. I so happened to have been playing with these a while back looking for a specific character.

So I tried Control + ', which didn't work, and Control + Shift + ", which did.

Yay, no more ugly-ass smart quotes.

Here's an image showing the difference. They're on in the first line, and off in the second (if that wasn't already obvious).



Blogger and Picasa were being fags about wanting to thumbnail it and not letting me show the full resolution image, so I had to scp it to my site. Give me a break, it's my damn content, let me show the full resolution version when it's so small. Then I had to slap style="border:none; padding:0px; margin:0px;" on it because it had all three even though I thought I had removed that from my theme a long time ago. Fucking hell, blogger. If it continues to go out of its way to annoy me (like when I tried to make the show/hide box remember its state with cookies, and discovered I could set them but not read them because it fucking filtered it out of my script), I'll have to look elsewhere for my lolblog. Is Wordpress good?

Edit #>9000: nuked the image border/padding out of the theme's css.

Also, I marathonned Initial D 4th Stage today since I couldn't remember where I'd left off. It turns out my estimate of episode 14 was correct. Central-Anime's subs are balls. I heard so much terminology go by that never made it into the subs, and so much was paraphrased, it's like they weren't even trying. I'll cut them some slack, since it's an older series (hell, the subs themselves look like slightly beefed up SRT subs, before the crazy effects-laden SSA/ASS subs we know of today took hold), and it's from when xvid/mp3 was the best anyone could do. That certainly dates it. We all thought that looked awesome back then, but now it's just blurry as hell with audio artifacts everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. While smart quotes may be entirely unnecessary in IRC, when you're designing for print, they're necessary, attractive, and can make your work look slightly more polished.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.