Saturday, July 7, 2012

Giant Brand Onion Petals

Ever gone to Outback Steakhouse and had a Bloomin' Onion?  That's what this is trying to imitate.  It comes with a packet of, and I quote, "Aussie style sauce".

As far as the onions go, they're fairly standard.  Not bad, but nothing special.  I think the freezing process really gets to some foods moreso than others, and this would be one of the ones that's affected more.

I kind of foreshadowed this in my Spicy Chicken Strips post, but the directions omit one crucial thing: thawing the sauce packet.  Luckily I remembered how I thawed the sauce packet from the TGI Friday's mozzarella sticks and just used that method, which is pretty simple.  Basically, just stick the packet in a bowl of hot water while the main dish heats up in the oven.  It takes about the same amount of time, longer if you start with colder water.

Anyway, other than that omission, there's nothing really to complain about.  They're not as legit as the spicy chicken strips, but they'll do if you want fried onions to dip in some sauce and don't want to make it yourself or go out and get one pre-prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.