Thursday, May 19, 2011

teh moniez

You may or may have not noticed this, but the progress bar indicating my progress saving up money for a Cooler Master HAF 922 case is sitting at 100%.

Yes, indeed, I currently have enough money to purchase the case.  I will be doing so in the next few days.

The case is destined not for a new computer, but to replace the shitty case I built my current computer in.  The case I'm currently using is total shit in terms of air flow, which I think is contributing to how my hardware no longer acts like it used to.  Actually, right now, both of the replacement case fans I got a while back are dead.  I'm running the computer with the side of the case removed and a box fan blowing air away from it.

The progress bar only reflects the cost of the case.  I'm planning on getting some more thermal compound to replace the old stuff on my CPU, that should help things as well.  To be honest I probably have enough money for that, but we'll know for sure by the end of the weekend.

Furthermore, there's a slight upgrade that could be happening.  A while back, a friend of mine who moved away put all the random computer hardware he had up for grabs.  A few of us rooted through it and I found an nVidia GeForce 8800 GT, which I promptly claimed.  My current graphics card is an nVidia GeForce 6800 GT, so it would be a small but noticeable step up.  Who knows, I might even be able to run games fullscreen again.  The only thing that could be a problem is that I haven't tested the card to make sure it actually works.  But, being that we found it in an antistatic bag and the friend who had all of this was pretty good at taking care of computer hardware, I expect it to work.

I don't even remember the name or manufacturer of my current case.  All I know is that I bought it solely based on looks.  Lesson learned, that's a horrible idea.  From now on, I'm considering airflow first, then looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.