Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Faster page loading = better

So Google changed some things up on Picasaweb. Pages load a lot faster now (yay!), and there are licensing options for all images. Unfortunately it's trying to cement itself as a photo sharing service instead of a general image sharing service, as there's no option for a Public Domain license, which wallpapers tend to fall under. I set mine up with what I figured to be the closest Creative Commons license to Public Domain, which includes a few terms I don't need (attribution), but allows derivative works and free distribution. Since wallpapers are already derivative works, this kinda makes sense. The attribution thing is stupid as many of the wallpapers have been edited, either by myself or others, specifically to remove creditfagging.

They also added this "Name Tags" feature which isn't really useful at all for wallpapers since they link it into your contacts. It's supposed to provide an easy way to tag a bunch of photos at once according to who's in them. Now they just need tag tracking and easy tag maintenance for the regular tags.

I guess in the end I should just set up my own wallpaper gallery thing on some shared hosting somewhere, instead of taking frameworks clearly intended for other uses and adapting them for my own purposes.

There would be a wallpaper update, except that I don't have any wallpapers ready to upload. I haven't been on 4chan (or even 4scrape) nearly as much lately as I have been in the past. These things come and go, I'll probably have a shitton of them in a month or so.

In other news, the solder fix on my wireless Kramer is wearing off again. I have to play with the guitar sideways, neck pointed at the screen, so I can push the neck down into the base of the controller while I play. Whoever came up with the detachable neck idea really needs to be shot. I also took some Goo Gone to the warranty sticker on it, cleanly removing the sticker and the residue it leaves behind, so as soon as I get a Torx T10 screwdriver I can take the fucker apart and hardwire it. No more unrecognized button presses, flickering notes, or dropped holds for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.