Sunday, January 15, 2012

Game review facelift

If you've read, or have tried to read, any of my game reviews up until now, you'll know that they're mostly unorganized messes that ramble on and on and shift from one topic to another and back to the first.

I'm trying to change that.  It's going to take a bit more time to write each one, but that's a good thing.  I was essentially just crapping each one out as fast as I could write it before, acknowledging the structural problems present but not really feeling like devoting the time necessary to fix them.

Hopefully, with my new organizational practice I'm adopting, I won't have to fix structural problems because there won't be any to begin with.  This mostly means I'll actually be properly outlining them and putting comments about the same aspect of a game (graphics, controls, gameplay, etc.) together.

With the added overhead time to properly organize each review, maybe I can also get in the habit of putting some screenshots of the game in question in the review, if possible.  It's not as possible for PS2 games seeing as I don't really want to have to try and run PS2 games on an emulator just to grab a screenshot of whatever I'm talking about, but for PC games and games for older home consoles that are more easily emulated, it's a lot easier to do.

Also, I might try my hand at actually avoiding run-on sentences.  My posts read much like they're being spoken out loud, because English speech hardly ever abides by every single rule of its grammar, and run-on sentences are one of the most common things in speech.

Hopefully all of this extra effort should make my reviews and the rest of my posts better.

Also, in typical fashion, I didn't outline this post at all, or take into consideration any of the writing style adjustments I spoke about.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.