Thursday, July 7, 2011

Steam Summer Camp Sale

Steam's having its summer sale right now, and there are daily achievements you can get to obtain tickets.  For every three tickets you get, you can redeem them for a prize, which is basically a small bit of DLC in a select few games.  Extra characters, new maps, random goodies, etc.  You get the deal.  Best part:  No Purchase Necessary.

The nice thing is, since there's the whole "No Purchase Necessary" thing, every day of the sale has had one achievement you can get without spending any money.  A few of the days have had achievements in games I own, so where possible I went ahead and got those, exceptions going to the Super Meat Boy one, because it's fucking impossible and I'm nowhere near the area of the game I need to be in to unlock it, and the Facebook one, for obvious reasons.

The mysteriously added 43rd achievement for Beat Hazard, Striptease (Strip two bosses of their weapons and keep them alive for 60 seconds) ended up being one of the summer camp achievements, and I got that earlier as well as the last achievement I needed (Death Star, 10000 kills with the Ultra Beam) to get back to 100%.

Some days have had two free ones, like the day that had a regular free one and then a Team Fortress 2 (which is now Free To Play) achievement.  So yeah, I've sacrificed 6 GB of hard drive space to install TF2.  The game is hella fun, but I'm still uninstalling it after the sale ends.  I've gotten the achievement, which I had to set up with a friend just because I always got killed trying to do it in actual matches.

The achievements I've gotten so far and how to go about doing them:
  • Bit.Trip Beat - Sunbathing: Just don't suck.  This one is fairly easy.  Play Transition on the lowest difficulty, since the achievement doesn't have a minimum difficulty.  You don't even need to finish the song for it to unlock.
  • Steam - Welcome To Camp: Join the Summer Camp official group on Steam.  This one is derpaliciously easy.
  • Team Fortress 2 - Escape The Heat: As the description says, get set on fire and then jump into water.  The tricky part is doing it without dying, since 99% of the time on random servers people aren't going to go "oh sure let me stop playing how I'm supposed to be playing and help a member of the opposing team get an achievement".  It's easiest to find a relatively unpopulated server running a map with water and get a friend to help you, for mutual benefit.
  • Steam - Introduce Yourself: Have a friend on Steam?  Good. Go post a comment on their profile.  Achievement get.  Next.
  • Steam - Write Home: Click that Recommend... button next to a game in your games list, and type something short about why the game is awesome.  Submit, and there you go.  Next.
  • Trine - Summer Dip: I thought this one was going to be difficult until I realized each character has their own separate breath meter.  Dive into some water, and when one character's breath meter gets low, switch to the next.  Eventually you'll get the achievement.  Just don't leave yourself with the knight as your only character with a breath meter left, because he can't swim up.  When I got it, I didn't have the item that lets one of your characters breathe underwater, so I don't know how that affects it.  If you have that, it could be balls easy.
  • Steam - Say Cheese: Start game, press F12, upload screenshot.  Achievement get.  Next.
  • Beat Hazard - Striptease: Two words: Boss Rush. Pick a song that has an early boss wave that's the two small bosses.  Each of them counts as a separate boss, so strip them of their weapons and then ignore them.  Can be tricky, since bosses like to camp on other bosses and force you to fire at them.  The Reflect Shield can work against you here as well.  The Ultra Beam is your friend here, as it makes short work of turrets on bosses, and then your main cannons can take the boss out once it doesn't pose a threat.  So in terms of perks, max out the Ultra Beam, and go for survivability on the rest.
  • Steam - Play Time: Go to the Steam Store.  Click Demos.  Pick a demo.  Install, run.  Achievement get.  Next.
  • Spiral Knights - Star-Spangled Bomber: Yes, the Firecracker bomb costs 3000 crowns at the vendor.  Don't pay more for it in an auction.  See if you can borrow one from someone and then trade it back to them, there are people on the Steam boards for this game coordinating exactly that.  Or if you'd rather get it legit, do what I did.  Go to the recipe vendor and buy the recipe for a nice 250 crowns.  Grind the dungeon until you've got the materials you need, and then craft it for 200 crowns and 10 energy.  There you go.  You don't even need to equip it, so now you can sell it for profit, and if you get more materials, you can make more to sell!

As for prizes redeemed, first up was the gold ship in Beat Hazard.  It's just a graphical change, but it looks cool.  Then I got some absolutely ridiculous looking sunglasses in TF2 that I immediately equipped on all classes, and some DLC characters for Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter multiplayer, which I don't yet own but plan on purchasing at some point.

I'm left with a dilemma.  I estimate I can get enough tickets for two more prizes.  It kinda depends on how much I can do on each of the remaining days.  If I'm sitting there one ticket short of a prize on the last day, I'll do the Facebook one with a sockpuppet account or something.  However, I own zero of the games I have left to redeem prizes for.  Along the same line of reasoning as with the Serious Sam, I'm thinking of grabbing the Magicka one, but that leaves one... a bunch of my friends play Dawn of War 2, perhaps I should get that one?

Also, there's going to be a random drawing at the end of this.  Each ticket you earn gives you an extra entry into the drawing, and each of the winners get the top 10 games on their wishlist.  I had to expand my wishlist out to 10 games to be eligible, but... yeah.  Random chance I'll get Terraria for free!  I'm not holding my breath for it.  Some people out there have probably gotten every ticket so far and thus the drawing will be massively skewed in their favor, so... yeah.  Probably not going to be winning anything.

To use my most-used phrase on this blog, ever...  So, yeah.  That's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.