Friday, December 16, 2016

Wii Fit U, seven months in

No miraculous amount of weight lost in the last month.  In fact, I plateaued for a lot of it, while still managing to hit my target of losing 10 pounds in a month.  I don't think I'll be able to keep that up any further, though, because of the aforementioned plateauing.  Regardless, here's the graph.

Wii Fit U graph showing another ten pounds lost

More after the break!

The other thing that might throw a wrench in the works is Christmas.  I planned for Thanksgiving and ended up losing 1.5lbs, but Christmas is an entirely different deal.  The food for Thanksgiving is mostly nutritious in nature and the weight gain comes from eating way too much of it.  The food for Christmas completely ignores nutrition.

Christmas Eve dinner isn't a problem because my mom's making it, so I know there will be enough stuff I can eat without having to worry.  There's the annual party thrown by my aunt and uncle coming up, where the food is okayish, but the elephant in the room is Christmas morning.  Between the cinnamon buns, pancakes, sausage casserole, and maybe one or two other things, there's very little for someone like me who actually cares about nutrition to eat.  So far my plans have centered around ignoring it entirely and doing my own thing with a bowl of oatmeal and some toast.  At the same time, I want to have the normal stuff, if only in a small amount.  Decisions, decisions.

Converting the walk into a run is coming along well, I hit two laps of running finally.  Those two laps take about 20 minutes of the hour I'm aiming for, so I'm expecting the full run to be six laps.  Here's a graph of some Fit Meter data showing the two laps in question.


There's a slight dip in intensity between the fourth and fifth laps, for good reason.  My nose started running something fierce midway through the fourth lap, so I went inside as soon as I could and quickly cleaned myself up with a tissue.

In case you weren't paying attention, having lost 10 pounds in the last month puts me at my goal of being 90 pounds down before MAGFest, so I'm officially in "I'll take whatever else I can get before MAGFest" mode.  I'm not too worried about MAGFest itself, as I'll be doing a lot of walking, the hotel has fitness facilities that I get access to since I have a MAGFest staff hotel room, and the food in the staff suite has always been good nutritionally.

Because I don't want to be tethered to Wii Fit U for the foreseeable future, though, I have come up with a plan for tapering off the Wii Fit U portion of my workout and transitioning to just transferring the Fit Meter data and doing a Body Test, both of which can be done in the Quick Check application.  My plan is fairly simple: pick a calorie threshold that I can hit regularly that's above my calorie goal, and try to stay at that while adding distance to the run and gradually removing exercises from my routine in Wii Fit U.

This transition is important to me because my routine now takes very close to an hour and a half, and I want that time back.  Having that time will make my schedule more flexible for other things I need to do, such as getting a job.  Hopefully I can get a job that will keep me active all day and further add to the calorie burn.  I've always gone straight to "get a job in receiving somewhere", but I've also heard that the US postal service is hurting for delivery people in my area, so there's that as well.

I'm pretty happy with what I've achieved thus far.  While I don't feel much different about my weight, I do feel good about the progress I've made.  Given that I have some calorie burn yet to be earned from converting my walk into a run, there's hope on the horizon that my diet will eventually be a bit more flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.