Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Switching to 24 hour time, Day 1

Well, Day 1 was yesterday.  But whatever.

I want to switch over because 24 hour time is less ambiguous than 12 hour time.  You don't have to read the time twice to tell what time it is, essentially.  Plus, I've been switching everything I possibly can over to ISO 8601 dates, and ISO 8601 uses 24 hour time.

(ISO 8601 organizes the date/time fields in the order of "changes the least often" to "changes the most often", from left to right.  Today would then be 2013-08-07 07:35.  This is less ambiguous for a human to read, and it can be sorted by computers very easily since strcmp will always report that a later date is "bigger" than an earlier date.)

However, I had a bit of a panic yesterday when I looked at my watch to see if it was about time to go to bed and there were numbers I didn't expect.  I had to do the old "subtract 12" thing to see that I still had another hour before I really needed to go to bed.

It seems like I can't configure my phone (an LG 420G) for it, and a Google search returned nothing useful.

I really just need to get myself used to using new numbers in the latter half of the day.  I get off work at 17 and go to bed at 22, not 5 and 10, respectively.

(also, side note, I'm going to be leaving the timestamps alone on this blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.