Saturday, August 3, 2013

Moving On With Life

Yeah, I'm finally getting the hell out of my parents' house.  It's been long overdue.

Move-in day at the apartment is the 9th.  I'll have two of my friends as roommates.  I don't know how long it'll take to get myself moved in, I'm expecting the process to take the entire weekend, mostly for little fiddly organizational bits.

To be honest I'm kind of nervous, and this is entirely to be expected.  I mean, I did go off to college and live in a dorm for the one semester I was actually there, but this time I'll truly live independently of my parents.  It'll be a new adventure, I guess.

I mean, I'm so nervous that I haven't actually told my parents yet.  I just can't find a good way to bring it up.  Having the social anxiety I have, it's difficult for me to start a conversation about a topic as big as this just out of the blue, even though it's my parents I'll be talking to.

I was initially keeping it secret because I know that if I'd brought it up they'd try to get involved somehow and then question how independent I really am.  I was planning on bringing it up after I'd signed the lease and it was a done deal.  Then after signing the lease I realized another reason to maybe keep it hidden for a bit longer: my dad is an asshole when it comes to all things financial.  I can completely picture him going "you're moving out?  Okay, here's your car insurance bill, your health insurance bill, and by the way, buy the car from me".  I'm not saying I don't want to pay for my own shit, but I don't want all that dumped on me immediately.  I'm not entirely sure yet that I could handle a sudden spike in monthly expenses, and I'll already have ~$400/month of rent to pay.  Keeping it secret longer gives him less time to carefully plan out how much of an asshole he'll be.

You can also be sure that when I do mention it, it will be to my mom.

1 comment:

  1. I apologize if this is excessively sentimental, but I am really quite proud of you. In the few years that I have known you, I feel as if that I have gained a true friend. This is a major moment in your life, and can definitely be scary. But do take some comfort in knowing that it is also the beginning of a bright future. If something arises that causes any difficulties for you, please do not hesitate to ask me for help. In a word, "Congratulations"!

    Also, this is the first English comment on this blog if I am not mistaken. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.