Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Terraria Sucks Now

I fired Terraria up a few days ago, and was involuntarily moved to the 1.0.6 update.  After playing for a while I realized how crap the game has become.

Healing potions, in the tier they're obtainable in at the beginning of the game, are absolutely useless now.  They halved the healing amount and increased the delay for using any other healing item to 60 seconds.  It was already really hard to stay alive in some areas of the game before with the short delay and potions healing 100 health.  I haven't yet managed to find one of these glowing mushroom things underground that lets you craft the next step of healing potion (which I also believe was nerfed in healing capacity).

60 seconds between health items?  That spells death.  I don't care how good your weapons or armor are.  I had finally worked up my health, weapons, and armor to the point where normal enemies were easy, and the corruption enemies were annoying because the never ever stop spawning ever, making it hard to go anywhere solo.  I was fighting the Eye of Cthulu, had a good rhythm going, and got it down under 1000 health, but the healing potion delay got me killed.

Tell me, how am I supposed to progress to the next tier of items if I can't get them?  Demonite does spawn in very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very small veins extremely rarely, but the primary source of it is killing bosses.

Terraria was once a nice, fun casual game that I could just start up and have a good time with, running around killing stuff and mining ores.  After this update, playing it is more of a chore than anything else.

The game already had balance issues, and 1.0.6 made them worse.  How is making the early to mid game phase harder supposed to keep the game fun?  It's like the devs listened to all the hardcore faggots with all their endgame gear whining about how the game is too easy, and decided to make the early game harder so all the hardcore faggots could go jerk off to the suffering it's caused people who are trying to get out of that phase.

I've got an idea.  The potion tiering as it is now in 1.0.6 is fine, but make glowing mushrooms easier to find, so that at about the time players are progressing to silver/gold gear and have over 200 health (where I am now), they can actually obtain the healing potions that they need to support the amount of health they have.  Lower the delay to 15 seconds, and make the delay per health item, so drinking a potion for 50 health doesn't prevent me from eating a goldfish for 20.  Unless it already exists, add a third tier of health potion that heals 200 health.

I realize that tons of potions were added recently.  I still haven't found all the materials required to make the ones that the hardcore faggots are suggesting those of us with lives should use instead of rightly bitching.  Plus, one specific hardcore faggot seems to be a broken record saying "oh once you get the harpoon you can solo any boss no problem".  That's a pointless statement.  I'll just generalize it to make it clear.  "Once you get a weapon that's far above your current tier of weapons, the stuff you previously thought was difficult will now be easy".  See what I mean?  I don't even know how to make (or find) the harpoon.

I haven't been wiki-fagging this game.  I'm trying to play it without external documentation, so I can experience the game's natural learning curve.  And that curve was just turned into a brick wall leading up into outer space.

I'm glad a friend gifted me this game on Steam, because if I'd purchased it with my own money, I'd want it back.  Oh, wait, Steam doesn't do refunds.  Your money is theirs forever.  This is why I'm stuck with Real Myst, which is so buggy I wonder how it even got past the testing stage of development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.