Thursday, December 11, 2008

This is gonna happen

I have procured a Torx T10 screwdriver. I did my usual test of ability by opening the guitar controller, closing it, and verifying that it still worked. Indeed, it does. Also, while I had it open, I took sharpies (green, red, yellow, blue, orange, and black) and marked all the wires in both ribbon cables. Black's for the ground, the other colors should be obvious. This bit of thought ahead of time will make sure that the actual operation will be successful.

Also, I took the opportunity to fold up a small piece of paper and do the paper shim mod, which prevents the neck from wiggling. Once I got the neck reattached, I had to play around with it a bit (using the fretboard on the cheats menu for reference) until all the buttons registered properly. This is only a temporary thing until I find my dad's wire stripper and some electrical tape. But at least until then, I can pre-tilt. So I can go back to getting -1 runs on Generation Rock that beat my FC scores. Yay.

As for my one worry, that there wouldn't be enough ribbon cable to join the neck and body, that seems to be gone. There's juuuuust enough room to spare. Both ribbon cables are doubled back and are actually longer than the amount of space they need to cover. I'll only need extra wire if I fuck up somehow.

While I had the guitar open, just for the hell of it, I started up Guitar Hero and navigated around the menus with the guitar opened. Whee. It was actually kind of difficult, because the neck kept losing its connection (the pins in the body that it has to make contact with are spring-loaded).

Also, I've noticed something weird with the cheats menu in GH3. Going into "enter cheat", sometimes all the chords will drop out except for Green+Red. Playing them will just make a faint clicking sound instead of the chord. I don't know if it affects cheat entry or not as I already have all of them unlocked, and the only ones you can continually get verification messages for even after using once are Hyperspeed and Unlock Everything. Hyperspeed is all single frets, which still work, and Unlock Everything is 4 note chords, which didn't make any noise to begin with.

BTW, I'm sure anyone reading this already knows, but there's an easy mnemonic for remembering the Unlock Everything code. It's YO BRO GO ROB BOB. Each letter of that phrase corresponds to the only fret button you don't hold down in each chord when entering the cheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.