Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Progress, Go!

I mentioned a few posts back how I wasn't making any progress whatsoever in Rumble Racing. Well, that's changed. I found a really cheesy way to get new fast laps that kinda defeats the purpose of doing well.

It all started when on a whim I decided to see what position I could finish a race in if I let the computers get a lap on me first. As far as that goes, the best track for Thor is confirmed to be So Refined, where I finished 2nd, and if I had hit fewer powerups, could have gotten 1st. This says something fun: On some tracks, Thor can do 8 laps in less time than it takes the computers to do 7.

I also discovered something. In an 8 lap race with 7 computers and myself, if I was in 8th on lap 7, the very first powerup I pick up on that lap is always a Tornado. Every time. I need to do some more experimentation with this, obviously, but it's still an interesting fact, and definitely worthy of being added to my FAQ.

How does this translate to faster laps? Well, when you're in the lower positions, the chances for getting each powerup change. Specifically, it gives you tons of Nitro. I had a lap on The Gauntlet where every powerup I got was a Nitro. I don't know if I should consider lap times achieved through this method to be admissible, and certain records-keeping sites like Twin Galaxies would probably frown upon it (lol, they don't even have any records for Rumble Racing), but at the same time it's still a possible scenario (being that it... happened), there's always the freak random chance of getting every powerup to be a nitro on a lap, it's just next to impossible without this method. For now, I'm keeping the records, mainly because I saved them onto my memory card.

Also, this method doesn't get fast laps on the tracks your car is better on, since you need to stay in 8th place for it to work.

As far as Guitar Hero goes, I can't play it right now. I got my third solder fix and the controller worked fine for almost a week. Now, no matter what I do, I can't get it to recognize the green fret button. Which means no menu navigation. Re-seating the neck occasionally lets one or two presses of the green button through, but I'm not re-seating the neck every other note of a song. So it's out of commission until I get a Torx T10 screwdriver and hardwire the thing.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Whoever had the idea for the detachable neck needs to be shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.