Monday, June 27, 2011

Giant Brand Macaroni and Cheese Bites

Continuing a foray into freezer aisle versions of pub food, I now bring you a post that took three weeks to write.

Why three weeks?

Because the directions on the box are wrong.  At least, the oven directions.  I don't have a deep fryer, and oven > microwave, so I just stuck to the oven directions.

I'll postpone talking about the incorrect directions so I can focus on the actual product first.

Essentially, these are breaded and fried triangular bits of macaroni and cheese.  They're pretty good.  They have plenty of cheese, a fair amount of macaroni, and a fairly quick cooking time, even in the oven.

Now, back to the directions.

The directions on the box say to preheat your oven to 450, then cook for 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 5 minutes.  However, if prepared this way, every single one will burst, and macaroni and cheese will float about the pan you're using.  In addition, they stick.

Here are my modified directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Spray your pan with cooking spray so that they will stick to it less easily.
  3. Place them on the pan in a single layer.
  4. Cook for three and a half minutes.
  5. Flip them over (ignore this step if you hate bullshit cooking steps like I do)
  6. Cook for three and a half minutes, for a total of seven minutes.
  7. Crefully separate them from the pan as need be.  Try not to rip them open in the process.
  8. Eat up, they'll be at the perfect temperature by the time you remove them from the pan.
Following my directions will result in very few to zero of them bursting.  They won't be as crispy, but at least you won't need a fork to eat them.

Alternatively, try the microwave directions.  I know I never prefer them when oven directions are present, but given that the given oven directions are completely wrong, it'd be a lot easier to just warm them up in the microwave.  I tried to experiment with finding a lower temperature that would work with the given times and which might make them a bit more crispy, but they burst when I used the given times at 350, so it's hopeless.

Or you could just go to the pub, where they'll undoubtedly taste better and will be prepared for you.  Just sayin'.  Speaking of which, I need to go to the pub...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments because when Blogger originally implemented a spam filter it wouldn't work without comment moderation enabled. So if your comment doesn't show up right away, that would be why.